Learning in AR & VR
Founder & CEO
Lumos Education Solutions
Podcast Episode Highlights
The Mission of Lumos Education Solutions
To rekindle people’s passion for learning through innovations focused on virtual reality/augmented reality (VR/AR).
The Motivation to Start Lumos Education Solutions
- While trying to find a deeper purpose, stumbled upon Simon Sinek’s book, ‘Start with Why’.
- It had a huge impact which lead to the journey of finding a deeper why.
- That ‘WHY’ was found in Lumos, whose ‘WHY’ is to uplift the quality of education, in not only the region, but developing countries as well.
Defining Augmented Reality
- Bringing something from the digital world, into the real world.
- For example, using a mobile device to show the solar system.
- The device can be used to bring the solar system into the classroom, which is better than showing pictures via textbooks.
Defining Virtual Reality
- Bringing a person into the digital world.
- For example, in order to see the pyramids, the learner would wear a headset, load up the solution and he/she would be immersing themselves in Egypt.
The Advantages of AR / VR over Other Forms of Technology
- Other forms of technologies out there are artificial intelligence (AI) and blockchain are some of the newer technologies, but they are still in the early stages.
- VR, on the other had has come a long way and has been refined in recent years.
The Fascination with AR and VR
- AR / VR provides immersive learning experience.
- Research done states that using technology in the classroom increases attention level by 92%.
- An average of 86% of learners see an improvement on test results.
An Illustration of AR / VR in Education
- VR allows learners to experience high-cost and high-risk environments without any restrictions, such as budget constraints and safety limitations.
- Example of high-risk environments would be an oil rig or a radiation plant where health and safety is a concern.
- A simulated setting of what an oil rig would look like will allow learners to be trained in that environment. This would also eliminate the risks involved in a real setting.
The Challenges of Adopting AR / VR as a Learning Tool
- Having a couple of hours of workshop for teachers, and the provision of hardware or software alone will not suffice.
- A long term partnership between the organisation and the developer is necessary throughout the implementation process.
Developing an AR / VR Solution for an Organisation
- The duration can take between 3-6 months depending on the complexity of what is required.
- Start with a discussion of what the organisation wants to achieve with the programme and determine the objectives.
- Explore the media to be used, such as 3D or 2D models.
- Hardware recommendation suited for those medias such as mobile phones, PC-tethered devices like oculus rift or HTC vive.
Skills Required to Become an AR / VR Developer
- 3D designing
- Video editing experience
- Good sense of creating content that is in line with the clients’ objective
- Programming skills
The Future of AR / VR in Education
- Most schools should start adopting this technology as part of their syllabus, as this tool could be a part of the learners’ lifelong learning process.
Using AR / VR to Support Individual’s Personal Development
- There many are apps available for personal use.
- Google Expedition is a free software that you can download and learn from. It has about 800 VR contents and around 100 or so AR content.
- Start at a low cost level.
- Explore other free apps that are available for download.
- Use cheaper and affordable headsets, then take it a step further once the results of the students are seen.
If you would like to get in touch, you may do so via:
We love feedback and recommendations!
If you have a recommendation on topics you’d like to cover or leaders you’d like us to interview, do drop us a line. Also, send us your feedback on how we can make this podcast better for you.
Like us? Rate & Review us!
If you like the show, please subscribe in iTunes or any of the podcast platforms below. Take the time to rate or review us.
Every rating helps us build more credibility and attract new listeners… which helps us keep making the show. : )
Interested in building a thriving organisational culture?
Drop a line and get a free consultation session!